Digital distribution expert confirm its ambitions in video game publishing with the purchase of the young indie label
Plug In Digital, one of the largest independent video game distributor in Europe and digital distribution specialist, announced today the acquisition of the publishing label The Sidekicks, based in Montpellier. With this operation, Plug In Digital asserts its key international partner position for indie developers and reinforces its new strategy announced last March with in-house label launch Playdius. Both companies share the same market vision of a strong Premium model, with ambitious games for PC, Mobile and Consoles (Playstation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch) as well as Mobile.
This acquisition allows Playdius to integrate The Sidekicks games line-up, including the ambitious role-playing game “Edge of Eternity”, the futuristic open-world “Hover: Revolt of Gamers” – both developed by Midgar Studio – or critically acclaimed platformer “Splasher”. Playdius line-up is a true concentrate of top-notch indie developers talents with approximately 15 titles planned for release between 2017 and 2018 including:
- Strikers Edge (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4) from Fun Punch Games
- Pankapu (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) from Too Kind Studio
- Splasher (PS4, Xbox One, Switch; already available on PC) from Splashteam
- BAFL (PC / Consoles) from Studio Oudidon
- Boiling Bolt (PC, PS4, Xbox One) from Persistant Studio
- Old School Musical (PC, Switch) from Studio La Moutarde
- Hover: Revolt of Gamers (PS4, Xbox One, Switch; already available on PC) from Midgar Studio
- sU and the Quest for Meaning (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) by Guillaume Bouckaert
- AWAY : Journey to the Unexpected (PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) by Aurélien Regard & “Jim” Gennisson
- Edge of Eternity (PC / Consoles) from Midgar Studio
“We are delighted to welcome The Sidekicks teams who have developed a real expertise with indie developers” says Francis Ingrand, CEO at Plug In Digital. “Our ambition is to take a stronger position in the market by developing an efficient and attractive publishing offer for the studios.”
“Over the last two years, we have been able to confirm the relevance of our position as an independent publisher in an increasingly complex market for studios” states Guillaume Jamet, CEO at The Sidekicks, who now joins Plug In Digital as VP Marketing and Communication. “This merger with Playdius will enable us to break new ground and to have new means to publish ambitious projects created in France or abroad.”
Plug In Digital will retain The Sidekicks office based in Montpellier, a strategic location among France gaming industry. Its strong ecosystem counts with numerous talented studios and Push Start, a very dynamic regional cluster whose Guillaume Jamet is the Vice President. The head office and part of the team remain in the Paris region where the company already has a large established network.
International press and partners, save the date! Playdius will attend Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, from August 22nd to 26th, 2017 and will unveil its brand logo and new upcoming games.
Gamescom agenda is already on track, please contact us as soon as you can to set up a meeting!
PR team - firstname.lastname@example.org
For press inquiries, please contact:
PR Manager – email@example.com / +33 6 61 13 21 74